Eyelids and lashes are a very important part of our face aesthetically. The first things we notice in a person’s face is the eyes. The eyelids and eyelashes protect the eyes from dust and any foreign particle entering the eye which troubles it.
Aging process of eyelids
When the skin starts aging, it starts losing elasticity of the muscles around the upper and lower eye areas. The lack of skin elasticity along with constant gravity pull causes excessive skin to settle on the upper and lower eyelids.
When does a person require an eyelid surgery?
With age skin starts wrinkling and drooping, which makes a person look older than their actual age. Wrinkling can happen around the eyes and on the eyelids as well. This makes the eyelids loose their elasticity and droop downwards. Treating the eyes with an anti-wrinkle treatment or an eye lift/eyelid surgery can help in retaining the aesthetic appeal of the eyes and also maintains your looks according to your age.
What is an eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery is also known as an eyelift or blepharoplasty. It is a procedure that reduces bagginess from lower eyelids and removes excess skin from the upper eyelids. An eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty also can be effective in improving the eyesight in older people, whose sagging upper eyelids obstruct their vision.
What does the surgery procedure involve?
An eyelift surgery usually takes about two hours if the upper and lower eyelids are done together. The procedure is usually performed with a local anesthesia (a painkiller injected around the eye) with oral sedation which creates a numb sensation around the eyes.
- The plastic surgeon usually starts with the upper lids first.
- He will then cut along the natural lines of your eyelids.
- The skin is separated from the underlying tissue and excess fat and muscle is removed.
- The cuts are closed with very small stitches.
- Depending on the technique used, the lower eyelids may or may not require stitches.
Who Is an ideal candidate for an eyelid surgery?
People mostly above the age of 35 are most suitable for an eyelid surgeries. It is also important that whoever is getting an eyelid surgery done, must have good health and also realistic expectations. If if baggy eyelids or droopy eyelids is genetic, you may get the surgery done at an early age.
Will the Results of Eyelid Surgery Be Permanent?
Usually the upper eyelid surgery lasts for at least five to seven years and lower eyelid surgery is a very rare requirement. You must also understand that ageing is a natural phenomena and your eyes will still age after the surgery. In case your eyelids sag again, the best option is to get a forehead lift, than to go through another eye lift surgery.
How long does it take to recover from an eyelid surgery?
- After eyelid surgery, you will have stitches for up to a week on the upper eyelids. Stitches in the lower eyelids is generally rare.
- Swelling and bruising, are very common occurrences after an eyelid surgery.
- Your eyelids will look normal within a week or two.
What Are the Possible Complications From Eyelid Surgery?
Like any other treatment procedure, cosmetic treatments also can have complications if not done properly, or if the patient is not cautious about the specifications given by the doctor. Although complications and unwanted results from an eye lift surgery are rare, sometimes they do develop in some people.
These complications can involve:
2. Dry eyes
4. Eyelid skin that folds in or out abnormally
5. A pulled-down lower lid lash line
6. Abnormal coloring of the eyelids
7. A possible loss of vision
Benefits of an eyelid surgery
As everyone wants to look presentable, drooping or sagging eyelids becomes a huge concern. The most important thing apart from just the aesthetic appeal of the face is that drooping upper eyelids can affect the vision of a person. Improvement of vision is one of the biggest benefits that a person can have with a eyelift surgery.
Other benefits include:
1. The muscles and tissues around the eyes are tightened, which gives you a firm look.
2. An eye lift surgery also make a person look younger and fresh.
3. With an eye lift surgery you can get rid of under eye bags which make you you look fatigued even when you’re not.
4. Lifting the upper and lower eyelids can reduce the number of the fine lines see around the corners of your eyes.